Sunday, September 9, 2018

Wine to Water (And Mountains to Mountains)


Image result for wine to water

(Image from https://www.winetowater.org/)

Being there for Mountains to Mountains was a very emotional experience.

The first thing I felt was a sense of empathy and sadness at the hearing of the destruction left in the wake of the 2015 Nepal Earthquake. I remember sitting at my computer on that day, the 25th of April, and going to YouTube to watch some videos. I remember seeing a particularly interesting video at the very top of the page.

"Hit by Avalanche in Everest Basecamp 25.04.2015"


I remember watching the video, and being absolutely stunned at what I had just seen. I remember looking up more about it, and reading a news report on how 22 people had died in the avalanche, making it the largest Everest disaster in history.

Hearing about that earthquake brought back that memory immediately, and for the rest of the seminar I was captivated by the people and their work in Nepal. To see them bring fresh, abundant water to a remote village with a major lack of water access, and to actually see and hear the people who were responsible for helping several thousand in Nepal get fresh water following the earthquake was inspiring to me. To know that they were able to coordinate and bring a team together with supplies and help those in need as soon as they could was just...it made me happy.

Following that, the speech given by Doc Hendley almost brought tears to my eyes. His personal story moved me in a way I can't describe, especially to hear how he met his wife, and how he "doesn't belong with a girl like her." It reminded me greatly of my own girlfriend, who is almost 3 hours away in Chapel Hill right now.

Besides that though, the major things I got out of this was just the feeling for the drive to do good and help people, all around the world. The feeling of knowing that you are improving not just your own life, but everyone's' lives is something to strive for.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest reflection Chandler, glad you took something from it! It's insane that 9000 died in the earthquake. It's hard to imagine, I can't even fathom what it'd be like if 9000 people died in the US.

    Sorry you're far away from your girlfriend, I did a long distance (as in different parts of the globe) relationship for 3 years, and in a way, it's easier because the times you do see each other are always great. But you do miss them quite a bit in between.

    -Add a line between paragraphs to make the blog post display nicer.
    -Make the text wrap around the image of the blue logo by selecting left or right when you click on it in the editing pane.
    -Where you cite a video, embed it instead! It'll give the post more of a visual appeal and the reader can watch it in the same window. To do so, go to the Insert function and find the YouTube video icon. Should be pretty straight forward from there!

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging the Public with Science

One of the biggest parts of my Science and the Public class this year has been working with just those things. Science, and the Publ...